Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Weekend in Finland

This weekend, I popped in Finland to see my folks. I combined the visit with attending Johanna's birthday bash and I also wanted to see her new pony – and she had recently moved yards as well, so wanted to see their new abode, too. Now her trotting racing horse, Emmi, and the new pony, Kuu, live in the posh stables in Laukon Kartano (Laukko estate). It's a private livery yard and also a racing yard. The facilities are superb. For example, the stable Johanna's horse and pony live is so beautiful and roomy inside – just look at the width of that corridor in the middle! The stable, obviously, also has warm showering and wash-down area for horses, with warm water on tap. Ah, if only where I keep my horse... And the radio in the corner of the stable was playing to cheer up both horses and their humans ;).

Driving there through the estate



Laukko estate and fields

Posh stable
We arrived when the sun was already setting – around 3pm in Finland this time of year – so, unfortunately, we didn't quite manage hacking out around the estate. But we rode the horses in the outdoor arena under floodlights, for about 20–25 mins until I started to complain losing sensation in my fingers and toes... Well it was a 'mere' -17 Celsius, so rather nippy! I haven't ridden in such cold conditions – and in snow! – since I was a kid. Rather puts the complaints of cold weather in England into perspective... This morning it was 2 degrees here. 


It was lovely to ride Kuu (he's a Haflinger, originally from Belgium). He is only 4 and he seems very eager to please, but he is a bit basic in his skills at the moment, as even the tiniest squeeze of the leg results in rather enthusiastic 'jolt' forwards. I had to learn to just squeeze buttocks to get a gentler effect. He has been, so far, ridden with basic aids, so he always thinks leg means forward and nothing else – I couldn't get him to yield (though must be said, I am no expert either!). So we ended up trotting around until it got too cold to hold the reins. Kuu has also been taught a bit of reversing by Johanna and her friend, so when I asked him to stand, he instantly wanted to show me his new reversing skills, too! 

I believe that in this case, photos speak louder than words, so here a few pics:


Bijoux - aka Kuu in his box


Elina and Kuu


My feet rather sticking forward - I blame the cold!


Reversing when should be standing still :)


And staaaand...




Johanna getting Emmi ready

Kiss kiss


"I love you, Mummy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment